- k-12readinglist.com (K12) is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. k-12readinglist.com does not directly store any information as a result of your browsing, but our hosting platform and third-party links, such as YouTube, may do – for their purposes, not ours. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
- k-12readinglist.com may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from May 2012.
What is a cookie?
- Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information that are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
You can find more information about cookies at:
- Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience. They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.
Category 1: strictly necessary cookies
Category 2: performance cookies
Category 3: functionality cookies
K-12readinglist.com does not collect or store demographic analytics (marketing) data.
A list of all the cookies used on this website by category is set out below.
Links to other websites
- Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question. These third-party sites will have their own cookie notices and policies, detailed on the third-party sites.
We may collect the following information:
- Name and job title (if you submit this on a reply or contact form)
- Contact information including email address (if you submit this on a reply or contact form).
What we do with the information we gather
- We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- We use this information to enable us to reply to contact form messages.
- We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Controlling your personal information
- You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission (for example if you have written us a message and expect a response) or if we are required by law to do so.
- You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998, however, the only information that we store is email or contact messages sent by you to us via our website.
- If you would like a copy of the information held on you please send us a message via the contact form on this website.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible via this website. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Specific information relating to how WordPress.com and Jetpack use data
- This feature only records the activities of a site’s registered users, and the retention duration of activity data will depend on the site’s plan and activity type. This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List. The K-12 School Reading List does not operate a service for registered users at this time.
- Data Used: To deliver this functionality and record activities around site management, the following information is captured: user email address, user role, user login, user display name, WordPress.com and local user IDs, the activity to be recorded, the WordPress.com-connected site ID of the site on which the activity takes place, the site’s Jetpack version, and the timestamp of the activity. Some activities may also include the actor’s IP address (login attempts, for example) and user agent. This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List. The K-12 School Reading List does not operate a service for registered users at this time.
- Activity Tracked: Login attempts/actions, post and page update and publish actions, comment/pingback submission and management actions, plugin and theme management actions, widget updates, user management actions, and the modification of other various site settings and options. Retention duration of activity data depends on the site’s plan and activity type. See the complete list of currently-recorded activities (along with retention information). This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List. The K-12 School Reading List does not operate a service for registered users at this time.
- Data Synced: Successful and failed login attempts, which will include the actor’s IP address and user agent. This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List. The K-12 School Reading List does not operate a service for registered users at this time.
- Data Used: If Akismet is enabled on the site, the contact form submission data — IP address, user agent, name, email address, website, and message — is submitted to the Akismet service (also owned by Automattic) for the sole purpose of spam checking. The actual submission data is stored in the database of the site on which it was submitted and is emailed directly to the owner of the form (i.e. the site author who published the page on which the contact form resides). This email will include the submitter’s IP address, timestamp, name, email address, website, and message. This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List.
- Data Synced: Post and post metadata associated with a user’s contact form submission. If Akismet is enabled on the site, the IP address and user agent originally submitted with the comment are synced, as well, as they are stored in the post meta. This information is only available to WordPress.com and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List.
- This site no longer (30/05/2021) uses Google Analytics or any other cookie-based tracking system and has no intention of using such a system in the future.
- Data Used: When sharing content via email (this option is only available if Akismet is active on the site), the following information is used: sharing party’s name and email address (if the user is logged in, this information will be pulled directly from their account), IP address (for spam checking), user agent (for spam checking), and email body/content. This content will be sent to Akismet (also owned by Automattic) so that a spam check can be performed. This information is only available to WordPress.com / Akismet and is not available to The K-12 School Reading List.
- K-12readinglist.com does not operate subscriptions, nor does it hold any user data for subscriptions. The K-12 School Reading List does operate a Mailchimp email newsletter service. Mailchimp’s privacy policies can be viewed here: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/ . The K-12 School Reading List does not have access to any tracking, IP, or demographic data that may be collected by Mailchimp. The K-12 School Reading List only has access to the information entered by a user when signing up for the newsletter – ie a name and an email address, and the date of the signup.
- Data Used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID (if logged in), WordPress.com username (if logged in), user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, and country code. Important: The K12 site (the site owner) does not have access to any of this information via this feature. For example, a site owner can see that a specific post has 285 views, but he/she cannot see which specific users/accounts viewed that post. Stats logs — containing visitor IP addresses and WordPress.com usernames (if available) — are retained by Automattic for 28 days and are used for the sole purpose of powering this feature.
This policy was last updated on.